If you would like to attend this meeting, please contact Rob Illingworth on: Robert.Illingworth@kent.gov.uk.
Research Working Group – Wednesday 5th June 2013, 10.30-11.30am
Kent History & Library Centre, James Whatman Way, Maidstone, ME14 1LQ
1. Kent & Medway timeline
A volunteer at the Kent History & Library Centre has begun working on an excel spreadsheet timeline (see attached). She is drawing from a wide range of sources, some authoritative, some less so. As an indicator of the coverage of the timeline across the districts in Kent & Medway, she is noting down place names relevant to the entries in a separate column.
What do the working group think of this format? (See demo spreadsheet here)
- Potential to create both full & edited versions of the timeline?
- Potential to use the Kent Libraries Registration & Archives website as a platform for the timeline TBC.
- Discuss with the KLR&A Information Services and Digital Inclusion team.
- Potential to host the timeline on First World War Centenary Plans in Kent & Medway? https://fwwkentmedway.wordpress.com/
- Potential for customer/volunteer involvement in timeline content creation?
- Potential to include examples of relevant local “personal heritage” stories within the timeline?
– Decision on format of timeline agreed
– Decision on where the timeline will be hosted
– Decision on who will contribute to timeline and how
– Identified themes/areas of research for timeline (eg. Coastal defence, civilians, naval etc) and who will research what for addition to timeline.
2. National timeline
Who has already signed up to the IWM’s Centenary Partnership programme (http://www.1914.org/partners/) and who has access to their national timeline? Should this information be added to the above time?
– Decision made on whether this information will be added to local timeline
– Person identified to carry out this work.
4. Date & Venue of next meeting