Following on from successful First World War networking events in 2013, the Museum Development Programme has partnered with the AHRC-funded ‘Gateways to the First World War’ project, hosted at the University of Kent. Gateways is an AHRC-funded centre for public engagement with the First World War centenary. The centre is managed by the University of Kent in partnership with the Universities of Brighton, Greenwich, Portsmouth, Leeds and Queen Mary, London. It also has close links with organisations such as the Imperial War Museum, National Maritime Museum and the War Memorials Trust.
The aim of the Gateways team is to encourage and support public interest in the centenary of the First World War through a range of events and activities such as open days and study days, advice on access to materials and expertise, and signposting for other resources and forms of support.
In this afternoon session being held at the University of Kent on Friday 16th January, we invite you to meet the ‘Gateways’ team and hear about projects they are supporting and how they could support your own FWW projects.
Programme of the Day:
12.00pm Arrival & networking lunch
1.00pm First World War projects from around Kent:
- ‘Codename: Joined Up’ from the Dover Museums & Arts Group
- ‘For the Fallen’ from ViolaFilms, Blue Town Heritage Centre and the Royal Engineers Museum
2.00pm Introduction to ‘Gateways to the First World War’ project
Find out what it is, how is it funded, who is involved, why was it set up, what the aims are, what can the university offer, and how can it support community groups.
2.15pm Student Volunteers
Hear how University of Kent students could support you with your project, from student Ruben Rees.
2.45pm Current projects supported by Gateways
Discussing how the Gateways partners have been involved and why this has been beneficial, using the following Case Studies:
- Dean Evans from Langtons Boys School
- Ernie Brennan from the National Children’s Football Alliance
3.30pm How to get involved
If you’ve been inspired to work with the Gateways team, where do you go from here?
3.45pm ‘Then and Now’ First World War funding stream from the Heritage Lottery Fund
- Gateways to the First World War website: http://www.gatewaysfww.org.uk/
- Gateways Blog: http://blogs.kent.ac.uk/gateways/
- HLF’s ‘Then & Now’ funding stream: http://www.hlf.org.uk/looking-funding/our-grant-programmes/first-world-war-then-and-now
- First World War News in Kent & Medway Blog:https://fwwkentmedway.wordpress.com/
- FWW GoogleGroup sign-up:https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/fwwkentmedway/join
- IWM Centenary Partnership: http://www.1914.org/